General Position Summary
- The Compliance Manager will assist the Country Office Management in reviewing, documenting and establishing effective financial and operational controls over the “north – east” program’s administrative and programmatic activities in its field offices and programs sites.
- The Compliance Manager will examine, review and analyze records, reports, financial statements and management practices to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Help identify efficient and effective solutions to operational issues which ensure compliance with Mercy Corps’ policies and donor regulations, mitigate the risk of fraud and corruption, yet also facilitate the achievement of program objectives.
- Assist Programs and Finance with adapting established procedures or, as necessary, designing and documenting new procedures for program activities which involve providing a direct financial benefit to beneficiaries (i.e. Vouchers or Cash For Work).
- On a sample basis, regularly perform reviews of procurement and program transactions and supporting documents to ensure transactions are in compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures and grant agreements and regulations;
- In coordination with country management and HQ finance, assist with the follow-up and resolution of external audit or Mercy Corps Internal Audit findings;
- Conduct regular anti-corruption and fraud prevention trainings to all staff.
- Stay current on the active programs and grants of Mercy Corps Nigeria as well as their specific regulations and requirements. In coordination with Finance and Programs, develop and/or monitor grant-specific compliance trackers.
- As needed, draft prior approval, waiver and other compliance requests to the donor on behalf of Mercy Corps in coordination with HQ Compliance, the country Finance Manager and individual program managers/directors.
- For both the country and field offices, perform internal control reviews of in-country processes including cash management, procurement, logistics, and stock management including food commodities, assets management and coordinate with the relevant departments to correct weaknesses and improve controls as needed; prepare action plans to address findings and monitor the status of action plan implementation;
- Prepare a Country Office Risk Register in conjunction with program managers and ensure quarterly updates;
- Perform other related special projects and duties as determined and assigned by management.
Corruption and Incident Response:
- Following Mercy Corps procedures, serve as country focal point for the internal reporting of any incidents of fraud, corruption or bribery.
- Lead and support program teams in implementing and managing the country Complaints Response Mechanism;
- Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Prepare and maintain the Country Office Fraud Register and Dashboard and liaise with Headquarters legal, compliance and ethics teams in the resolution of all reported incidents.
- As agreed with the Headquarters Legal department, perform corruption enquiries and investigations to determine the facts, circumstances and scope of any allegations raised.
- Collect, analyze and document results of investigations and communicate observations and recommendations with the collaboration of the Country Director and senior management team, as appropriate;
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- B.Sc. university degree in finance, accounting or a related business field is required; Certified Public Accountant is a plus;
- Extensive knowledge of donor rules and regulations including USAID, ECHO, DFID, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in financial and operational data analysis;
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel;
- Fluent written and oral communication in English. Fluency in Hausa is welcomed.
- 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization;
- Strong background in compliance accounting and internal controls; experience in auditing strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with various administrative and program levels in the organization;
- Strong organizational and research skills with a broad understanding of various program sectors and activities;
- The successful Compliance Manager will show ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- The ability to take financial data and present it in meaningful financial reports is essential.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline 24th November, 2016.
Jobs By Specialization
- Accounting / Audit / Tax (30)
- Administration & Office Support (16)
- Agriculture/Farming (3)
- Analyst (2)
- Automobile (0)
- Banking / Finance / Insurance (7)
- Building Design/Architecture (2)
- Construction (2)
- Consulting/Business Strategy & Planning (5)
- Creatives(Arts, Design, Fashion) (2)
- Customer Service (9)
- Data Management (0)
- Digital Marketing/Social Media/Blogging (3)
- Education/Teaching/Training (1)
- Engineering (32)
- Executive / Top Management (4)
- Geographic Information Systems (3)
- Healthcare / Pharmaceutical (6)
- Hospitality / Leisure / Travels (0)
- Human Resources (7)
- Information Technology (26)
- Legal (2)
- Logistics / Transportation (4)
- Management Sciences (0)
- Manufacturing / Production (2)
- Marine (0)
- Marketing / Advertising / Communications (25)
- Media (4)
- Medical Sciences (0)
- NGO/Community Services & Dev (0)
- Oil&Gas / Mining / Energy (3)
- Operations (8)
- Operations And Maintenance (5)
- Project / Programme Management (11)
- Public policy (1)
- QA&QC / HSE (3)
- Real Estate / Property (1)
- Research (1)
- Sales/Business Development (38)
- Sciences (0)
- Security (6)
- Supply Chain / Procurement (3)
- Survey (1)
- Technical (8)
- Telecommunications (1)
- Vocational Trade and Services (0)
Jobs by Location
- Lagos (160)
- Nigeria (31)
- Abuja (16)
- Kano (12)
- Rivers (8)
- Oyo (7)
- Ekiti (4)
- Borno (3)
- Ogun (2)
- Anambra (2)
- Cross River (2)
- Kwara (1)
- Osun (1)
- Akwa Ibom (1)
- Enugu (1)
- Imo (1)
- Adamawa (1)
- Sokoto (1)
- Edo (0)
- Ondo (0)
- Delta (0)
- Kaduna (0)
- Abia (0)
- Bauchi (0)
- Bayelsa (0)
- Benue (0)
- Ebonyi (0)
- Gombe (0)
- Jigawa (0)
- Kastina (0)
- Kebbi (0)
- Nasarawa (0)
- Plateau (0)
- Taraba (0)
- Yobe (0)
- Zamfara (0)
We are the number one and most reliable indigenous job board and recruitment website with Job Vacancies In Nigeria, Jobs in Nigeria, career tips in Nigeria and employment in Nigeria. We connect top talents with top companies and recruiters...read more